Quantcast
Channel: mission – CityNews Vancouver
Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 149

Deaths from COVID-19 rise to 14 at Langley care home

$
0
0

LANGLEY (NEWS 1130) — The number of deaths at a care home in Langley with a second outbreak is up to 14.

An employee of Langley Lodge was first reported to be in isolation at the end of March, but that outbreak was later declared over. A second staff member there tested positive for the virus late last month.

“The virus was introduced into our dementia unit by an infected worker on April 27th,” says a post on the Langley Lodge website.

Fraser Health’s Chief Medical Health Officer Dr. Martin Lavoie said Thursday more active cases have been confirmed since the second outbreak was reported.

“Five staff persons and 28 residents are currently infected with COVID-19,” he said, adding extra measures have been put in place to stop the spread.

Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry reported Tuesday there had been eight deaths and 43 total cases at Langley Lodge.

I know Fraser Health and the care team at Langley Lodge have been devastated by this outbreak and are working very hard to make sure that it is under control,” Henry said Thursday.

Debra Hauptman, the CEO of the Langley Care Society, said it’s been difficult containing the spread of the virus because it affected residents with dementia.

“They do not understand social distancing and they do not understand not touching things, or being close to other people,” she added. “It presented a real challenge for us.”

Meanwhile, the Fraser Health Authority says a COVID-19 outbreak has been declared over at a care home in Coquitlam.

An outbreak was first reported at the Dufferin Care Centre — a long-term care facility owned by Retirement Concepts — after a worker tested positive in March.

“With the implementation of comprehensive strategies to prevent and respond to COVID-19 in care facilities, there are no longer any COVID-19 cases at this site,” Fraser Health says in a release.

Fraser Health also confirmed a new outbreak The Cedars, an assisted and independent living facility in Mission owned by the Mission Association for Seniors Housing. A resident has tested positive for COVID-19 and is in isolation in their home in assisted living.

Fraser Health had not declared any new outbreaks in care facilities since May 1.

The outbreak at Abbotsford Regional Hospital is ongoing, with eight staff and one patient infected, according to Fraser Health.

A patient who was initially thought to have COVID-19 but was never confirmed, has since died, said Lavoie.


Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 149

Trending Articles